Denver Birth Injury Lawyers
A birth can be a joyous occasion for families. When, however, medical errors before, during or after the birthing process injure newborns, the impacts can be devastating for babies as well as their families.
At Tomazin Law Group LLP, we are Denver attorneys who are dedicated to helping injured babies and their families fight for justice and financial recovery when negligence has caused birth injuries. As skilled litigators with more than 70 years of experience, we are ready to take swift action to help you:
- Determine whether negligence and medical malpractice played a role in injuring your baby
- Identify all negligent parties and all available legal remedies
- Pursue your best options for financial recovery
- Protect your rights and interests as we work diligently to help you recover the compensation you deserve
Although no amount of money can ever change the past or make up for severe (or fatal) birth injuries, financial recoveries can provide support, comfort and a sense of justice that may be critical to helping families:
- Cover their medical bills (past and future)
- Start picking up the pieces and restoring their lives
How Negligence Can Contribute To Birth Injuries
Birth injuries can be caused by various forms of negligence, including (but not limited to) health care professionals:
- Failing to detect and promptly and properly treat maternal infections or signs of maternal distress
- Failing to detect and promptly and properly treat fetal infections or fetal signs of distress
- Failing to identify and treat umbilical cord prolapse (i.e., the umbilical cord passing through the birth canal before the baby) and/or nuchal cord (i.e., the umbilical cord wrapping around the baby’s neck)
- Failing to promptly perform emergency C-sections when it’s clear that they are needed
- Improperly using vacuum extraction and/or forceps
- Improperly using any birth-assisting tool
- Administering unsafe types and/or amounts of medication to pregnant mothers and/or newborns
When these or other forms of negligence cause or contribute to birth injuries, the parties that may be liable can include (but may not be limited to):
- Medical technicians
Common Types Of Birth Injuries
Babies can sustain any number of mild to severe injuries before, during or after the birthing process when medical professionals make mistakes. Some of the most common types of serious birth injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy – Caused by damage to the brain, cerebral palsy can result in a number of cognitive, emotional, physical and developmental disabilities. About 10,000 infants are born with cerebral palsy each year in the U.S. There is currently no cure for cerebral palsy.
- Brachial plexus injury – Typically occurring during the birthing process, brachial plexus injury involves damage to the muscles and/or nerves in the upper arm, which can impair the ability to use, control or feel the shoulder, arm and/or hand. Erb’s palsy is a special type of brachial plexus injury that impacts the neck and can result in paralysis to the arm(s).
- Shoulder dystocia – This type of birth injury occurs when, during delivery, a baby’s head and shoulders become stuck behind a mother’s pelvic bone. Shoulder dystocia can cause other birth injuries (like collarbone fractures and cerebral palsy) as well as harm to the mother (by, for instance, causing severe hemorrhaging or rupturing of the uterus).
- Persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn (PPHN) – This potentially fatal birth injury occurs when infants develop seriously high blood pressure (as a result of their blood not circulating properly after birth). Failing to diagnose and immediately treat fetal infections is one common cause of PPHN.
- Brain injuries – Infants’ brains can be damaged prior to, during or after delivery due to a number of factors, such as oxygen deprivation, physical trauma to the infant’s head, failure to properly treat jaundice and failure to treat maternal infections.
These and other serious birth injuries can increase the risk that infants will be the victims of wrongful death.
Start The Recovery Process Now: Contact A Denver Medical Malpractice Attorney At Tomazin Law Group LLP
If your child is living with serious birth injuries, or if you have lost a child to fatal birth injuries, contact Tomazin Law Group LLP by calling 303-835-4595 or emailing us via our contact form. When you reach out to us, you can receive helpful, clear answers about your rights and potential case. This information may make all the difference in your financial recovery and future.
From our office in Denver, we proudly provide high-quality legal services to people throughout the Denver metro area, Arapahoe County and across Colorado.