Recovering From Crashes Caused By Uninsured Motorists
Carrying a minimum level of auto insurance coverage is required by Colorado law. Nevertheless, many motorists find ways to get around the law, driving with less or no insurance coverage.
In fact, some data indicate that as many as one in every six Colorado motorists is uninsured. This puts Colorado in the top 10 states for uninsured drivers.
While this fact may be distressing, what can be worse is being hit by an uninsured driver.
At Tomazin Law Group LLP, our attorneys know how to help crash survivors protect their rights and obtain the recoveries they deserve — even when their accidents were caused by uninsured motorists. As nationally recognized trial lawyers with more than 30 years of experience, our lawyers can help pursue all available legal remedies while helping you secure the full amount of compensation you deserve for your crash-related losses and injuries.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) Coverage & Claims
UM/UIM coverage is not mandatory in Colorado, meaning that it is usually an add-on to standard auto insurance coverage and policies. This additional coverage, however, can protect you if or when:
- Any uninsured or underinsured driver hits you
- You are the victim of a hit-and-run crash
In these situations if you have UM/UIM coverage, you can file a claim with your own insurance company for compensation for vehicle damage and repairs, as well as medical bills (related to treating the injuries resulting from the crash).
Here, it’s also crucial to point out that UM/UIM insurance can also cover:
- You even if you were not in your vehicle when you were hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver (like if you were a pedestrian or you were riding a bicycle when the collision happened)
- The passengers in your vehicle at the time of the crash
- Other family members who drive your vehicle
Pursuing Recovery After An Uninsured Motorist Causes An Accident
Here are some more important things to understand when it’s time to seek compensation for the damages caused by uninsured drivers:
- Filing a UM/UIM claim will not cause your insurance rates to increase — In fact, Colorado law prohibits insurers from increasing policyholder’s rates for filing UM/UIM claims.
- Just because you have UM/UIM coverage does not mean that insurers will honor your policy — Unfortunately, insurance companies are not looking out for you after a crash or after you file a claim with them. This is typically because insurers are more intent on protecting the company and its profits — even if that may come at your expense or may compromise your rights. As a result, it’s essential to:
- Not accept the first offers made by insurers, as these offers tend to fall short of what you actually deserve.
- Not accept an insurer’s denial of your claim as the last word.
- Retain an experienced lawyer to help you deal with insurers and protect your claim.
Get On The Road To Recovery Now: Contact A Denver Car Accident Attorney At Tomazin Law Group LLP
If you have been hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver — or if you have been the victim of a hit-and-run, don’t hesitate to contact a Denver car accident attorney at Tomazin Law Group LLP.
Our lawyers are ready to:
- Provide you with helpful answers regarding your options for recovery and justice
- Take swift action to protect your rights while helping you pursue your best options for justice
- Help secure the best possible outcomes to your case
Call 303-835-4595 or email our firm via the contact form on this page to find out more about your potential case and what we can do for you. Our conversation could change your life — and make all of the difference in your financial recovery and future.
With our office located in Denver, our attorneys provide the highest quality legal service and representation to people throughout Arapahoe County, Denver metro area and Colorado.